<a href=“http://www.facebook.com/sherlyncooks”>Follow me on my Facebook page!</a>
This is a muslim-Indian food found in Singapore and Malaysia. It will be perfect dish/soup for winter! Over the stove, it will require hours of simmering in order to make the goat/lamb meat tender. However, I have shortened the time needed with a pressure cooker or Instant Pot!
Fyi, this soup is perfect if you are down with a cold.
Follow/Like my page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sherlyncooks/
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 2.2lbs (1kg) of meaty Goat ribs (substitute: lamb)
- 2 inch fresh Ginger
- 6 – 8 cloves of Garlic
- 1 Green Onion; sliced
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Fennel powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric Powder
- 1 tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt; to taste
- 10.5 cups (2.5L) of Water
- 1 Leek; sliced – white parts only
- 5 Cardamon pods; bruised
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Light Soya Sauce
- 3 Tomatoes; wedges
- Crispy fried Shallots for garnish
- 1 bunch Chinese Coriander/Cilantro for garnish
- French Loaf for dipping
Directions (Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker)
- Blend or chop the garlic and ginger finely.
- Mix spice powders (Coriander powder, Fennel powder, Fenugreek powder, Cumin powder and Tumeric Powder) to the garlic and ginger mixture.
- Select sauté (high) and wait for ‘HOT’. Toast black pepper, cinnamon, star anise.
- Turn off.
- Add lamb/goat. Add paste. Add water. Add chopped leek, salt and bay leaves.
- Select “manual”, “high pressure” and set for 35 mins (lamb) or 40 mins (goat). It will require about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins for the entire cycle (come to pressure and de-pressurize).
- When the soup is fully de-pressurized, add light soya sauce, more salt (if you think it’s not salty enough), tomatoes and some Chinese coriander/cilantro. Let it sit for 15 mins on keep warm mode.
- Serve hot with more coriander/cilantro, crispy fried Shallots and sliced French loaves on the side.
Slurp! Enjoy! ❤️
Slowcooker: Follow steps above and cook on high for at least 8 hours.
Stovetop: Follow steps above and simmer (liquid will evaporate so please add more water/stock) for 3-4 hours.