And so… I was tasked by my foreign friends to list them. This isn’t the full list for sure, please help me to add on by commenting!
Thank you. 谢谢你。Terima Kasih. धन्यवाद. ありがとうございました. Gracias. 고맙습니다. ขอขอบคุณ. cảm ơn bạn. ຂອບໃຈ. Gratias Tibi. شكرا.
The reason for this post is due to the numerous posts by paid bloggers that may mislead our foreign friends. Again, everything here is based on my personal opinion and I have lived in Western Singapore all my life (Therefore, the shops I picked are mostly in the West, South or Central Areas. To make me list something in the East, it had to be really good!).
Common Local Food
$-$$ (Mostly $); majority accepts cash only
The stuff here are all pretty good, I have already toned down the list by 50%.
- Hainanese Chicken Rice: Tian Tian Chicken Rice (hubby didn’t think it was great but this stall was visited by top chefs like Gordon Ramsay), Hua Kee Chicken Rice (my pick), Chin Chin Eating House (my pick), Sin Kee Chicken Rice (my pick), Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice (my pick), Boon Tong Kee (I didn’t like it that they raised their prices to reflect it being a touristy place)
- Char Siew Rice (BBQ Pork) – Kay Lee Roast Meat Joint (Sold – Not sure if it will still be the same), Kim Heng HK Roast Meat, Tiong Bahru Lee Hong Kee, Li Bai @ Sheraton ($$$-$$$$)
- Roasted Duck Rice – Kay Lee Roast Meat Joint, Kim Heng HK Roast Meat, Tiong Bahru Lee Hong Kee, Hup Seng Duck Rice, Heng Gi Goose & Duck Rice
- Braised Duck Rice – Ah Seng Duck Rice, Sean Kee Duck Rice
- Soy Sauce Braised Chicken – Hong Kong Soya Chicken Rice & Noodles
- Laksa: Sungei Road Laksa, 928 Yishun Laksa, Alexandra Village Claypot Laksa, Roxy Laksa, Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa
- Katong Laksa: 328 Katong Laksa, Janggut Laksa
- Char Kway Teow: No.18 Zion Road (I’ll run 10km just to eat this), Hill Street Char Kway Teow, Outram Park Fried Kway Teow
- Hokkien Prawn Mee: Ah Hock Hokkien Prawn Mee at Chomp Chomp (one of the best Hawker Centre), Nam Sing Hokkien Prawn Mee, Tian Tian Lai Hokkien Prawn Mee
- Hokkien Black Prawn Mee: Kong Kee Seafood Restaurant, Big Eater Seafood.. The best is still in Kuala Lumpur
- Orh Luak (Oyster Omelette): Hougang Fried Oyster, Lim’s Fried Oyster, Simon Road Oyster Omelette
- BBQ Sambal Stingray: Chomp Chomp BBQ (Chomp Chomp is always good), Star Yong Kwang Alexandra Food Village, Tokyo at Ayer Rajah (I grew up patronizing them)
- Fish Head Curry – Zai Shun Curry Fish Head, Muthu Curry Fish Head
- Satay: Chuan Kee Satay, Lau Pa Sat Satay Street (Stall 7&8) – not the one in the food centre but the streetside ones that appears at night), Chong Pang Huat (BBQ wings is damn awesome too!)
- Frog Legs Porridge: Eminent Frog Porridge, Tiong Shian Claypot Frog Porridge (there is BBQ wings store there that is good, order a young coconut from the drinks stall too), A-one (good but overpriced)
- Bak Kut Teh – Song Fa Bak Kut Teh, Outram Yahua Bak Kut Teh, Ng Ah Sio Bak Kut Teh
- Kaya Toast & Kopi: Ah Seng Hai Nam Coffee, Chin Mee Chin, Tong Ah Eating House, Ya Kun
- Nasi Lemak: Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak, Mizzy Corner, Sri Sujana Muslim Food (hubby always say just go to Changi Village and pick any)
- Fried Carrot Cake (White/Black) – Fu Ming, 85 Bedok North Fried Oyster, Stall 36 Chomp Chomp, Tiong Bahru Kampong Carrot Cake
- Wanton Mee – Kok Kee, Da Jie (our fav!), Fei Fei, Hua Kee
- Fried Fish/Slice Fish Bee Hoon – Hup Lee Cafeteria (my fav! extremely long queue), Jin Hua Slice Fish Beehoon, Blanco Court Fish Meat Noodles (my fav too!)
- XO Fried Fish Bee Hoon – Holland Village XO Fish Bee Hoon Soup, Bao Gong (my Papa’s fav, he could eat it everyday)
- Bak Chor Mee (Minced Pork Noodles) – Parklane Teochew Mushroom Minced Meat Mee, Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle (quite difficult to go wrong, most places have it)
- Yong Tau Foo – Lucky Plaza Yong Tau Foo (Bugis Cube) – must have the homemade meatballs and mushrooms, Fu Lin Bar & Kitchen (Ampang Style), Siew Lin Yong Tau Foo
- Rojak (Chinese Salad) – Balestier Road Hoover Rojak, Power Rojak Bandung
- Rojak (Indian Salad) – Al Mahboob Rojak
- Ice Kachang – Any hawker centre’s dessert store should have this. I like the peanut Ice Kachang at Maxwell Food Centre.
- Bak Zhang (Rice Dumpling) – Hiong Kee (recommended – with salted egg yolk!!), Hoo Kee Bak Zhang
- Nasi Padang – Guarantee Good Nasi Padang (Shenton House) – so good that I willingly queued for 40 mins, Warong Nasi Pariaman, Nasi Bawean
- Murtabak – Victory Murtabak
- Hainanese Curry Rice – Loo’s Hainanese Curry Rice, Hong Seng Curry Rice
- Fishhead Steamboat – Whampoa Keng, Tian Tian Lao Famous Teochew Fish Head Steamboat
- Biryani – Most are pretty good!
- Teochew Porridge – Soon Soon Teochew Porridge, Lim Joo Hin Teochew Porridge, Ye Shang Hai Teochew Porridge (it can get very expensive if you order many dishes and dishes like fish)
- Dim Sum – Swee Choon, Red Star, Tim Ho Wan (Michelin Star in Hong Kong – I like the baked Char Siew Bao), Asia Grand ($$$), Hai Tien Lo ($$$) and all the Cantonese restaurants below
- Tau Huay (Jellied Beancurd) I can eat it every morning and for supper too – Rochor Original Beancurd House, Selegie Soya Bean, Lao Ban (used to be quite crazy till their recipe was leaked out)
- Chwee Kueh (Rice Cake) – Mostly good as long as it is fresh. Personally like Jian Bo Shui Kueh at Tiong Bahru
- Nyonya Kueh (Kueh Dadar, Ondeh Ondeh, Putu Ayu, Kueh Lapis etc etc) – Galicier Pastry, Bengawan Solo (not the best but it’s still good. I buy them at the airport and eat in the plane – some items can survive more than 20 hours like Pandan Cake, Cake Kueh Lapis)
- Durian – It is a love or hate. My dad buys them but hubby ordered Mao Shan Wang (Cat Mountain King) from Durian Garden and it was awesome (btw, he doesn’t like durian). I love the durian ice at Dessert First (糖水先) – you can have the mango ice if you really hate durian.
- Mee Siam – Nyonya Delicatessan, Ya Kun (not bad!)
- Mee Rebus – Not a fan but Rahim Muslim Food is not bad!
- Lontong – House of Lontong
- Roti Prata – Mr and Mrs Mohgan Roti Prata Shop, Al-Amin Food Stall
- Curry Puff – To be honest, I am happy with just Old Chang Kee’s Curry Puff, Katong Chicken Curry Puff, J2 Famous Crispy Curry Puff
- Popiah – Joo Chiat Popiah & Kueh Pie Tie, ABC Popiah, Long House Popiah & Kueh Pie Tie
- Sugarcane Juice – Any hawker centre should have this!
- Tutu Kueh – Tan’s Tutu Kueh, Queensway Lau Tan Tutu Kueh
- Fishball Noodles/Soup – Yong Kee Famous Fish Ball Noodles, Hock Lee Fishball Noodles, Song Kee Fishball Noodles
Zi Char (煮炒)
$-$$; majority accepts cash only
Cooked to order (not everything on the menu is awesome) and so I gave a few recommendations. This is not a formal eating place and usually warm, please dress casually (shorts/shirt/slippers). Prices at these places are cheaper than hotel and restaurants (big seafood names like Long Beach/Jumbo). Some of them allow reservations and if they do, please make the reservation.
- Two Chefs Eating House:
116 Commonwealth Crescent #01-129 S140116
What to Eat: Hotplate Tofu, Butter Ribs with Condensed Milk Powder, Pork Floss Fried Butter Prawns, Drunken Cockles, 3 Eggs Spinach *I don’t remember them taking reservations but the queue gets really long, go before the dinner crowd comes in
- Melben Seafood:
Toa Payoh Lorong 8 Block 211 S310211
What to Eat: Chilli Crab, Butter Crab, Claypot Crab Beehoon, Cereal Prawns *Food is good but there has been a lot of complaints on the service. Reservations recommended!
- New Ubin Seafood:
63 Hillview Avenue, Level 6 (Canteen) S669569
What to Eat: US Ribeye (not your usual ribeye steak), Fish Roe Masala, Satay Foie Gras, Chocolate Alexander, Boss Beehoon, Har Cheong Gai, Smoked Pork Collar *Fusion food and reservation is recommended!
- Keng Eng Kee (KEK):
124 Bukit Merah Lane 1 #01-136 S150124
What to Eat: Salted Egg Yolk Crab (Fried/Steamed) – Get the Mantou, Moonlight Hor Fun, Salted Egg Yolk Sotong (Calamari), Coffee Pork Ribs, Claypot Pork Liver, Butter Cereal Sotong (Calamari), Marmite Chicken *Reservation usually made a week in advance and you can reserve the big crabs too
- Hong Yun Seafood:
124 Toa Payoh Lorong 1 #01-459
What to Eat: Seafood White Beehoon, Garlic Fried Pork *The waiting time if appalling but the food is pretty good.
- Chui Xiang Kitchen:
126 Casuarina Road S579514
What to Eat: Marmite Pork Ribs, Black Pepper Ostrich, Beef Hor Fun
Best Hawker Food Centre
$-$$; majority accepts cash only
Great if you only have a few days in Singapore! The rest are good too but these probably have most of the food I mentioned.
- Chomp Chomp Food Centre – 20 Kensington Park Road S557269
- Amoy Street Food Centre – 7 Maxwell Road S069111
- Maxwell Food Centre – 1 Kadayanallur Road S069184
- Hong Lim Food Complex – 531A Upper Cross Street S051531
- Old Airport Road Food Centre – 51 Old Airport Road S390051
Specialty Restaurants (Reservation Required)
$$$$ – $$$$$; Credit Cards only
Mostly high-end, fine-dining (some).
- Japanese – Mikuni ($$$$):
Fairmont Hotel Singapore, Level 3
- Cantonese – Hai Tien Lo ($$$$):
Pan Pacific Singapore, 7 Raffles Boulevard, Level 3, S039595 – I held both my wedding luncheon for 300 guests and solemnizaton dinner for 50 guests here. Nuff said.
- Cantonese – Cherry Garden ($$$$):
Mandarin Oriental, 5 Raffles Avenue S039797
- Cantonese – Li Bai ($$$$):
Sheraton Towers, 39 Scotts Road, S228230
- Cantonese – Min Jiang ($$$$$):
Goodwood Park Hotel, 22 Scotts Road, S228221
- Cantonese – Peach Garden ($$$$):
OCBC Centre, 65 Chulia Centre, #33-01 S049513
- Cantonese – Wan Hao ($$$$):
Marriott Hotel Tangs Plaza, 320 Orchard Road, S238865
- Cantonese – Wah Lok ($$$$):
Carlton Hotel Singapore, 76 Bras Basah Road S189558
- Chinese/Cantonese – Yan Ting ($$$$$):
St. Regis Singapore, 29 Tanglin Road S247911
- Dim Sum – Crystal Jade Golden Palace ($$$$)
290 Orchard Road, Paragon #05-22, S238859
- Chinese – Imperial Treasure Fine Dining ($$$$$)
Marina Bay Sands, The Shoppes S018972
- Chinese – Taste Paradise ($$$$)
2 Orchard Turn, ION #04-07, S238801
*The only colored & flavored Xiao Long Bao
Restaurants (Reservation Recommended – not all may allow)
$$$ – $$$$; Credit Cards & Cash
- Japanese – Sushi Tei
Various Outlets at Raffles City, Vivocity, Paragon, Holland Village
- Japanese – Shin Kushiya
- Chinese – Din Tai Fung
Various outlets at Paragon, Raffles City, Marina Bay Sands, Marina Bay Financial Centre, Junction 8, NEX, Wisma Atria, JEM, The Centrepoint, etc
- Chinese – Taste Paradise
2 Orchard Turn, ION #04-07, S238801
*The only colored & flavored Xiao Long Bao
- Chinese – Paradise Inn
Various outlets at West Coast Plaza, Changi Airport T1
- Chinese – Dian Xiao Er
Various outlets at Vivocity, Jurong Point, JEM, Marina Square, Junction 8, NEX, Changi Airport T3, Tampines One
Must Try: Herbal Duck
- Chinese (Fujian) – Putien
Various Outlets at Jurong Point, Marina Square, ION, NEX, Parkway Parade, Raffles City, Resort World Sentosa, Vivocity, etc
Must Try: Lor Mee, Deep Fried Squirrel Fish, Fried Egg Plant with Pork Floss, Shredded Meat with Bun, Special Chilli Sauce, Sweet & Sour Lychee Pork
- Chinese – Soup Restaurant
Various outlets at Suntec City Mall, Changi Airport T2, Jurong Point, NEX, Paragon, Vivocity
What to Eat: Samsui Chicken, Teochew Olive Rice, Ah Por Fan Shu Ye (Sweet Potato Leaves), Double Boiled Soup
- Indian – Komala Vilas
76-78 Serangoon Road S217981
What to Eat: Rawa Dosa
- Indian – Khansama Tandoori Restaurant
166 Serangoon Road S218050
What to Eat: Aloo Gobi, Tandoori Chicken, Cheese Naan
- Indian – Annalakshmi
104 Amoy Street S069924
Not-for-Profit Vegetarian Buffet
- Indian – Samy’s Curry
25 Dempsey Road S249670
What to Eat: Masala Chicken, Fish Head Curry, Biryani, Chicken Tikka
- Malay Nyonya – Jonker’s Nyonya Deli
9 Raffles Place S048619
What to Eat: Penang Asam Laksa, Cendol, Kueh Pie Tee
- Jumbo Seafood – They have many outlets but I recommend the East Coast or Dempsey Outlet. It is always crowded, expect to wait even if you have a reservation.
- Long Beach Seafood – They have many outlets but I recommend only the Dempsey Outlet.
- Malay Nyonya – PeraMakan
10 Bukit Chermin Road, Level 3, Keppel Club S109918
What to Eat: Beef Rendang, Otak Otak, Apom Berkuah, Bubor Cha Cha, Ayam Buakeluak, Chap Chye, Assam Fish, etc.
The list here can probably keep you busy for a long long time. There are some I can’t fit into any categories like Le Tao from Sapporo (opened in Ion), Hokkaido Cheese Tart (opened in Ion), Irvin’s Salted Egg Yolk Chips/Fried Fish Skin, etc etc