Satay, or sate in Indonesian and Malaysian spelling, is a dish of seasoned (various spices including lemongrass), skewered and grilled meat, served with a peanut sauce. However, instead of the traditional way of cooking, I experimented making this in the IP and the husband loved it (after some tweaks). I served the satay chicken cubes over fragrant coconut rice (see Step 2) and drizzled peanut sauce over it. I tweaked the sauce for a creamier gravy texture. My picky husband love it!
- 10 – 12oz of boneless Chicken Thigh/Breast *pat dry as the chicken gives off water when cooking
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 3 stalks Lemongrass (white parts only)
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 7 Shallots
- 2 tsp Tumeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Chilli/Cayenne Powder
- 1.5oz Ginger (1/2 tsp Ginger Powder)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Fish Sauce (or 1/2 tbsp Salt)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted Chicken stock (only if using the IP)
- Red Onions for garnish
- Cucumber slices for garnish
Ingredients (Peanut Sauce)
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted roasted Peanuts
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/4 tsp Dark Soya Sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar/Palm Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Fish Sauce or (1/8 tsp Salt)
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Tamarind Juice (can be obtained from 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste, Tamarind Pulp mixed in 1/4 cup water – squeeze juice and discard pulp) or substitute with 1 tbsp Lime Juice
Directions (Instant Pot)
- Blend lemongrass, garlic, shallots, oil, salt ginger, and sugar. Remove to a separate dish or your blender will have yellow stains when you mix in the tumeric powder in step 2.
- Stir in tumeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, ginger powder (if using) and fish sauce. Mix well.
- Optional step: You can marinate the chicken cubes in the paste if you want. I like to marinate and freeze it for use later. I make easy-prep freezer meals for quick cooking in the morning.
- Pour 1/2 cup chicken stock into the pot. Add chicken cubes to pot and pour the paste on top in this order. If using step 3, pour 1/2 cup chicken stock to the pot, add marinated cubes or frozen marinated cubes.
- Cook chicken cubes on manual, high pressure and 6 mins (thigh)/7 mins (breast). Add 1 min if frozen. You can do Pot-in-Pot Jasmine rice/fragrant Coconut Rice. Allow natural release for 5 mins before doing an instant release.
- While the chicken is cooking, blend all the ingredients for the peanut sauce. Let it sauté in a pan over low fire.
- Garnish and serve chicken hot over rice with peanut gravy drizzle.
Directions (Airfryer): Follow steps 1-2. Marinate chicken cubes with the paste for at least 10 mins (best overnight). Preheat airfryer at 380 degrees farenheit Celcius or 180 degree Celsius. Spray oil on airfryer grill plates, lay marinated chicken on it. Airfry for 8 mins – 10 mins (chicken is cooked). While the chicken is cooking, blend all the ingredients for the peanut sauce. Let it sauté in a pan over low fire. Garnish and serve chicken hot over rice with peanut gravy drizzle.
Directions (Stovetop): Follow steps 1-2. Marinate chicken cubes with the paste for at least 10 mins (best overnight). Make peanut sauce by blending all the ingredients for the peanut sauce. Let it sauté in a pan over low fire. Heat oil in pan and sauté chicken till no longer pink. Let sauce reduce over medium low fire. Garnish and serve chicken hot over rice with peanut gravy drizzle.