To those who knows me, I hate tomatoes and I hate carrots. However, for some weird reasons, if it is tomato soup, I’ll love it. If it’s pasta, I’ll love it. As for carrots, unless I can’t taste it or see it, I’ll eat it. So now, I’ve turned the 2 vegetables that I hate into a soup, so that I can still benefit from the Vitamins.
Tomatoes and carrots are one of the world’s healthiest food. It is full of Vitamin C and many other vitamins and minerals like Vitamin E, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Potassium and Manganese.
I can’t find any reason not to have it and so here goes my recipe!
Serves 8 paxes | 15 mins to 1 hour
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8oz Yellow Onions; chopped
- 8oz Baby Carrots; chopped
- 84oz Fresh Roma Tomatoes; quartered or more (substitute: Canned Tomatoes in Tetra Packs)
- 1 cup Unsalted Chicken Stock (substitute: Vegetable Stock/Bone Broth)
- 1.5 cups Half & Half/Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- Salt; to taste (I did not use any Salt)
- Black Pepper for garnish
- Fresh/Dried Basil for garnish
- Sauté onions and carrots with olive oil for about 4-5 mins (onions will be slightly translucent).
- Add stock, tomatoes, chicken stock and dried basil.
- Add fish sauce when it starts to simmer.
- If using the Instant Pot, set to ‘Manual’, 8 mins and high pressure. Allow natural release. If over the stove top, simmer on medium for 40-45 mins.
- Using an immersion hand blender, blend soup till smooth. If using a good blender, please make sure you leave a gap for steam to escape.
- Return soup to pot over sauté or low fire, slowly add half and half/heavy cream, season to taste.
- Garnish. Serve with garlic bread.
* As always for the IP add the oil only when the ‘HOT’ indicator appears.
* Halve the recipe if you don’t wish to make so much. The only reason why I make so much is because this soup can be cooled and frozen.