It says Orange Chicken but there are actually no orange juice or pulp involved; just the zest. A little twist from the usual Sweet and Sour dishes.
Staple meal for the husband’s takeaway lunches to work/school. Yes, he is a meat and rice guy. Serve him anything else and he would tell you he is hungry 3 hours later 😝. This is a tasty, savory and Asian tasting dish. I call it Asian as the condiments used are all Asian. However, this isn’t something you spot at the ‘Cai Peng’ (菜饭) shop or ‘Zi Char’ (煮炒) shop.
Serves 3-4 paxes | Cook Time: 20 mins (not including cooking of white rice)
- 2 pounds/900g Chicken Breast/Thigh; chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Egg; beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- dash of White Pepper Powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Ginger; grated
- 1 cup Chilli Peppers; sliced
- 1/2 cup Green Onions
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing Huatiao Wine
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp Water
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 5 tbsp White Vinegar (reduce by 1 tbsp if you like it a little lesser)
- 1 Orange; zested
- 4 tbsp Oil or more
- Bowl 1: Mix egg, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp Oil.
- Bowl 2: Mix 1/2 cup corn starch and flour.
- Bowl 3: Combine light soy Sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp water, sugar, white vinegar and orange zest. Set aside.
- Preheat Airfryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit/180 degree Celcius (spray some oil on pan) -or- heat 2 tbsp Oil in saucepan.
- Dredge chicken pieces in bowl 1 followed by bowl 2. Use desired frying method and fry till golden brown; will take 3-4 mins per batch. Set aside on paper towel to drain oil.
- For the sauce, heat a clean saucepan with 1 tbsp oil, add grated ginger and garlic and sauté till fragrant. Add chilli peppers and onions. Add Shaoxing Huatiao Wine. Add sauce mixture from bowl 3.
- Mix in chicken pieces and coat well with sauce. Add corn starch mixture (1 tbsp in 1/4 cup cold water). Heat till sauce thickens, stir in sesame oil.
- Serve hot with white rice.
Tuck in! 😜