Meatloaf isn’t really something you find in Singapore. And so, this sets my new cooking task – learn how to make meatloaf. And tadah! This is the birth of my meatloaf after several attempts to make it the way I like it.
Although I’m using a variety of minced meat here cuz I bought the mixed pack (contains turkey, pork, beef and veal), you can do so with just minced ground beef and it will taste just as good. My meatloaf is slightly different from the traditional meatloaf that has tomato sauce. Mine is a creamy mushroom meatloaf!
You can use an airfryer, oven and electric pressure cooker (still need to finish off in oven).
- 1 1/2 pound/680g Lean Ground Meat Mixture or just Lean Ground Beef
- 2 cups Dried Mushrooms; soaked and diced (set aside the mushroom water and half for gravy) Fresh baby bellas work too!
- 1 medium Onion; minced
- 3 tbsp Garlic; minced
- 2 Eggs; beaten
- 2 tsp Italian Herbs
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 3/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 90g Mozarella, Parmesan & Cheddar Cheese blend
- 10 strips of Bacon (I used maple glazed, applewood smoked will taste great too. Actually, even the plain old bacon is good enough!)
- Mix meat with with 1 cup of diced soaked mushrooms, minced onions, minced Garlic, Italian herbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, cheese, beaten eggs and milk. You will need to use your hands to mix well.
- Fold in the breadcrumbs.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf that will fit the equipment you are using.
- Put the loaf on a foil, parchment paper or baking tray (we want the juice).
- Instant Pot & Oven: In the pot, add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of mushroom water, 1/2 tbsp of Chicken/Beef Bouillon and 1 cup of mushrooms. Put a foil/parchment paper over the steaming rack (don’t want the meat to fall through the holes). Sit the meatloaf on it (do not immerse it in the liquid). Depending on the height of your loaf (mine is about 4 inches), I set it at ‘Manual’, ‘High Pressure’ and 15 minutes. Do an immediate quick release. Remove from the IP and lay bacon strips on it. It is hot, I used a frying spatula to help me lift the loaf to tuck the bacon underneath. Bake in a preheated oven for 10-15 mins at 350 Fahrenheit degrees or 180 degree Celcius. (I find Baking more even than broiling). No oil needed as the bacon fats itself is oil. Meatloaf temperature should read 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 71 degree Celcius when it is done. For the sauce/gravy, use sauté mode and add 1/2 cup white wine, 3/4 heavy cream or half and half to the mixture. Let alcohol evaporate. I used an immersion blender (optional) to blend the mushrooms further, add salt and pepper to taste.
- – or – Oven: For the oven, bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins at 350 Fahrenheit degrees or 180 degree Celcius in a preheated oven. Apply bacon in the last 15 mins.
- – or – Airfryer: For the Airfryer, Airfry for 15 mins at 350 Fahrenheit degrees or 180 degree Celcius in a preheated Airfryer. Apply bacon and Airfry for another 8-10 mins. Try to avoid ground turkey if airfrying as I find that it dries out quickly.
- For the sauce/gravy if using an oven/airfryer: Boil over stove (mushrooms, mushroom water, 1/2 tbsp chicken boubillon). Add in 1/2 cup white wine and 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half. Boil to let alcohol evaporate. Transfer to a blender (optional) to blend. Taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve meatloaf hot with mushroom gravy on the side.