This is a claypot rice recipe but because I do not have a claypot here in the US, I’ve explored 3 other cooking methods and it’s all yummy! You can steam it over the stove top, pressure cook in the IP or do it in your rice cooker. The only thing you will be missing out is the slightly charred taste but again, not everyone is a fan of it 😜
Serves 2-3 | Cook Time: 8 – 45 mins
- 1 cup of White Rice
- Unsalted Chicken Stock (1:1)
- 500g or 17.5oz Chicken; cubed/sliced
- 2 Lup Cheong*; sliced diagonal thinly optional
- Dried/Fresh Shitake*; sliced
- 1 tsp Dried Shrimps
- 4 slices Young Ginger
- 1 tsp Dark Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tsp Ginger Juice
- Spring Onions; chopped (for garnish)
*Lup Cheong or otherwise known as Chinese Sausage needs to be soaked for 5 mins in hot water and wax covering removed.
*Dried Shitake needs to be soaked in hot water for at least 30 mins. Water can be reserved for cooking the rice.
- Marinate chicken slices with Dark Soya Sauce, oyster sauce and ginger juice. Set aside.
- Wash and drain rice. Add 1 cup unsalted chicken stock or mushroom water with chicken boubillon.
- Mix in lup cheong, dried shrimps, mushroom, chicken and ginger slices.
- Cooking Methods: Instant Pot – Set to ‘Manual’, 3 mins (+1 min per 1000 ft), high pressure and allow natural release 5 mins. You can also do it in a stainless steel dish upon a trivet with a cup of water at the base at ‘Manual’, 10 mins and natural release 5 mins (steam style). Stovetop (Steam) – Steam for 35-40 mins or till rice is done. Rice Cooker – Cook as per white rice settings. It takes about 40-45mins. Fluff rice and let sit in ‘Keep Warm’ for another 10 mins.
- Garnish and serve hot!