I decided to make my own wantons as there isn’t a single Chinese shop here in Amherst that can make decent wantons. Im sorry but it’s like a piece of thick flour skin to hubby and me. Wantons should be plump with minced pork, prawn and seasonings.
Fyi, Wonton (云吞) are not dumplings. Dumpling (水饺) uses a different skin. And you dip Dumpling (水饺) in vinegar + ginger + garlic.
- 250g Minced Pork
- 1 stalk Spring Onion; chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger; minced
- 2 tsp Light Soya Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsps Hua Tiao/Shaoxing Wine
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 1 Egg White
- 30 Prawns; shelled and deveined
- Fresh Round/Square Wonton Skins
- Mix Minced Pork with Condiments.
- Add Prawns. Let it refrigerate for 10 mins.
- Put 1 tsp and lay 1 prawn in the middle of the Wonton skin.
- Press edges together to seal the Wonton. Don’t be rough please.
- Cook in boiling broth or boiling water (1 tbsp Oil + 1 tsp Salt) for 5 mins or until they start to float. Drain and set aside.
- -or- Deep fry it. It will be equally good.
- -or- Airfry it at 320 degrees Fahrenheit/160 degree Celcius. You will need to spray some oil otherwise it won’t taste good.
- Serve hot as fried wontons or boiled wontons or boiled wontons in broth.
PS: If you wish to store the wontons, please freeze it. It shouldn’t be left too long uncooked in the open as the skin will get sticky and stick to the plate.