This is my favorite pastry whenever I have dim sum. Enough said! There are two variations of the egg tart – Portuguese Egg Tarts that is served in Macau and the normal Egg Tart. Both Egg Tarts have different milk being used and are very distinctive in looks.
Anyway, I am going to put a shortcut method and a make-your-own pastry method. The shortcut method simply makes you of store bought frozen puff pastry sheets or frozen pastry cups. The make-your-own pastry method has a lighter crust and is crumbly.
Ingredients (make-your-own pastry)
- 200g or 1 1/2 cup of All-Purpose Flour; sifted
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 200g or 1 1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Cold Water
Ingredients (Store-Bought Pastry Sheets)
- Puff Pastry Sheets; 9 circles of 4 inch or up to you (some like their tarts smaller)
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2/3 cup of Hot Water
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/3 cup Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla Essence or Pure Vanilla Extract
- Combine Flour, Salt, Sugar and Butter. Knead the dough. Add the Cold Water to bring the dough together. Do not over add the water as it will make the dough tough.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Turn out the dough on a lightly floured board and knead the dough (away from you and not back & forth). Fold and knead a few times. Cut out 9 circles of 4 inch or up to you (some like their tarts smaller).
- Press the dough or store bought puff pastry sheet into the mould or aluminium cups. Return the mould to the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degree Celcius. -or- Preheat Airfryer to 300 degrees Fahrenheit or 150 degree Celcius.
- Prepare the filling.
- Melt sugar in hot water. Add all other ingredients and whisk.
- Strain the filling and fill the filling (not to the brim), probably a 3mm to 5mm gap.
- Put the tray/cups in the middle section of the oven.
- Bake for 10 mins – 12mins. Check the pastry. If it is puffing up too much, it means that the oven/Airfryer is too hot. Open the oven/Airfryer slightly. This will prevent a collapse leading to a very sunken egg tart.
- Continue to bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degree Celcius for another 10-12 mins. Your egg tart is done if a toothpick can stand on its own.
- -or- Airfry at 300 degrees Fahrenheit or 150 degree Celcius for 8-10 mins. Open slightly. Continue to Airfry for another 8-10 mins at 280 Fahrenheit or 140 degree Celcius. 280