Nasi Lemak (椰浆饭) is a Malay Fragrant Rice (cooked with coconut and pandan/screwpine leaves) that originated from Malaysia. However, it also also a key ‘must try’ and all-time favorite dish in multi-racial Singapore. Like Hainanese Chicken Rice, you would find this dish in every nook and cranny of Singapore.
Nasi Lemak is a simple dish and usually served with fried anchovies/ikan bilis, egg, cucumber slices (omitted in pic), sambal, fried chicken and sometimes ikan kuning (can’t get it in US)/fish cake/otah otah/luncheon meat, etc etc. Simple as it may look, it is filled with flavor every single mouthful.
Serves 4 | Cook Time: 40 mins
- 4 Chicken Wings and (1/2 tsp each of Fennel Seed Powder, Cumin, Coriander, White Pepper, Salt, 1 tbsp Corn Flour, 100ml Coconut Cream, 1 tbsp Rice Flour and 1 tsp of Tumeric Powder)
- 100g Peanuts
- 100g Ikan Bilis
- 2 cups of Jasmine Rice
- 6 knots of Pandan/Screwpine Leaves
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/4 cups Unsweetened Coconut Milk (not the beverage type)
- 1 cup Water/Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 eggs (sunny side up/hard boiled)
- 12 slices of Cucumber for garnish
- Sambal Chilli (optional)
- Mix spices and condiments and let Chicken Wings season for at least 2 hours.
- Cook rice using the Instant Pot. Mix rice with Vegetable Oil, Coconut Milk, Water, Salt and Screwpine/Pandan Leaves. I did ‘Manual’, ‘High Pressure’, 5 mins and allowed 10 mins Natural Release. It was perfect for me as I like al dente but you might want to adjust if you prefer it softer. Fluff rice and allow it to be in ‘Keep Warm’ mode. You can also use the rice cooker which takes a longer time.
- Make eggs in the style you want.
- Deep fry Chicken Wings till golden brown or Airfry Chicken Wings at 6-7 mins each side at 360 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degree Celcius (requires a 5 mins pre-heating).
- Deep fry Ikan Bilis for 5 mins or Airfry in the baking tin for 4 mins and Ikan Bilis at 1 mins at 320 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degree Celcius (requires a 5 mins pre-heating).
- Arrange plate. Serve hot.
- Enjoy ♥️