Ever since I visited the US back in 2014 and had Mexican food, I took a liking to it. Since then, I had been experimenting and whipping up Mexican meals for myself once in a while.
Burrito is traditionally a wrap, but to make it an easy one dish meal; I’m doing a rice bowl instead. You could use a rice cooker, instant pot or a deep saucepan to do this bowl (cooking time varies).
Serves 4 | 20 mins
- 2 pieces of Chicken Breast; split half
- 1 small Onion (diced/sliced)
- 1 clove of Garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp of Homemade Seasoning (see below) or 1 packet of Taco Seasoning
- 1 can of Black Beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 bag of Frozen Corn
- 2 cups of Jasmine Rice (washed & drained)
- 1 Jar of your favorite Salsa
- 2 cups of Chicken Stock/Water *i used Better than Bouillon less sodium
- 3-4 sprigs of Cilantro (Chinese Coriander)
- 1 cup grated Cheddar or Mexican Blend
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Mexican Avocado; or Guacamole
- Pat dry Chicken with paper towels and lay it at the bottom of the IP. Sprinkle taco seasoning.
- Add black beans, frozen corn and a jar of salsa.
- Add washed and drained rice.
- Add chicken stock or water.
- Set the IP to manual, 12 mins and high pressure. Natural release for at least 10 mins. If your chicken breasts are very thick and frozen, I will recommend an extra min.
- Shred chicken and garnish. Serve hot.
Homemade Taco Seasoning: 1/2 cup Chilli powder or 2 tbsp Chipotle powder, 2 tbsp dried Oregano, 2 tbsp Onion powder, 1 tbsp Salt, 1 tbsp Garlic powder, 1 tsp Ground Black powder. *I always make a bottle (just x6 to the portions above).
You can also make this using brown rice on 25 mins cook time. For this, don’t use the canned black beans but uncooked ones.
No Instant Pot? Dump everything into your rice cooker and cook on the normal white rice setting (if using white rice) or brown rice setting (if using brown rice). Please cut your chicken breasts up (halve it then quarter it). Fluff rice and let the rice sit in the pot for another 15-20 mins.